Abortion is Care
Every day, a minimum of 10 young women in Karnataka is looking for help to have an abortion. These women have limited information on where or how to access the services that can help them. They also have limited awareness of their sexual and reproductive health. Studies have found that unsafe abortions are the third leading cause of maternal deaths in India. And this is preventable if women have information and access to safe abortions. Hidden Pockets is running a campaign called ‘Abortion is Care’ to create awareness and provide accurate information on safe abortion in 4 cities of Karnataka (Bangalore, Bellary, Shimoga and, Mysore). By the end of this campaign, we hope to build an atmosphere where every woman will be able to access friendly, affordable and safe abortion services by involving the local communities from these cities.
Here are some of the videos we created for the campaign:
English: Abortion is Care
Kannada: Abortion is Care
- Tweetathon with SAAF (Safe Abortion Action Fund) on how to ensure access to safe abortion during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Tweetathon with IndiaMeToo Access to essential SRH products and Services during the lockdown.
- Tweetathon with SHEROES India on access to essential SRH products and Services during the lockdown (in smaller cities)
- Tweetathon with YANSL (Youth Advocacy Network Sri Lanka) on women’s right to choose during a crisis.
- Tweetathon with Women Help Women, Gynuity Health Projects and, International campaign for safe abortion on Telemedicine and self-managed abortion: Is telemedicine the future?
Instagram / Facebook Live:
- Instagram live with Dakshita Wickremarathne (YANSL- Youth Advocacy Network Sri Lanka) on men and their support for women’s SRHR during a crisis.
- Instagram live with Indian Women Blog on The role of sexual and reproductive health counselor during the lockdown, How are Hidden Pockets helping the young people of our country.
- Instagram live with SHEROES India on SRHR concerns during the lockdown.
- Instagram live with Rangeen Khidki Foundation on access to SRHR during the lockdown.
- Instagram live with Good Universe NGO on Sexual and Reproductive Health.
- Facebook Live with Dr. Rathnmala Desai, FPAI (Family Planning Association of India) on Pregnancy, Abortion and other Sexual and Reproductive Health Concerns.
Here are the Podcasts we created for the campaign:
Live sessions with students:
In the month of September/2020, Hidden Pockets Collective run a campaign #knockingoncloseddoors where we mainly focussed on Abortion during Covid-19.
Campaign Collaborations #knockingoncloseddoors
- Tweetathon with Pratigya Rights and Global Concerns India (Local Partners) on Impact of COVID 19 on Safe Abortion services in India.
- Tweetathon with Lend a Voice Africa, Safe2Choose, The Wise up initiative, Rural women’s right structure, BALDSA, Global Media Foundation and COHERINET on Covid-19 and impact on safe abortion services around the world.